There might be a time when you want a gradient for a stroke setting. But since there is no gradient choice on the stroke panel in Fireworks 4, we have to experiment a little.
1. Start a new canvas 400x400 with a white canvas color.
2. Create a rectangle on the canvas sized at 350 x 150 (use Info Panel to be precise.) Fill your rectangle with a white and gold Radial gradient. (Edit the gradient from the fill panel.)
3. Click Edit>Clone to create a copy in the exact position as the original rectangle.
4. Change the cloned rectangle's fill to a solid gold yellow color (same color as the gold in the gradient). Use the info panel to resize to 330x130.
5. Select both rectangles, and click Modify>Align>Center Vertical and then click Modify>Align>Center Horizontal. You should now see a 20 pixel gradient around your rectangle shape.
Resize the top rectangle again if you want a smaller or larger outline. Adjust the bottom rectangle's gradient if you want a different gradient setting.
6. When you are satisfied with the shape, add a drop shadow to the bottom rectangle.
Create text to place on the top of the shape.
7. I saved the edited gradient to my gradient menu, and applied it to text. I also applied a drop shadow to the text as well.
8. Optionally, I added a texture to the bottom rectangle and text.
9. Trim or crop the canvas, then Optimize and Export your image. Keep in mind that gradients are best exported as .jpg's.
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial.
Page updated on April 26, 2003
[Home] [Contact debbieT] [Free Backgrounds] [Xhtml & CSS Tutorials]